“The operating system is not presently configured to run this application ” is not related to SharePoint but thought it is worth to note it here as couple of our clients had similar issue and I hope it will be helpful to many.
When trying to open open a document from SharePoint doc library, this error message pops up and sometimes it can be really annoying. In order to fix this issue, sometimes you may have to completely un-install Microsoft Office Suite from your local machine and needs to re-install Office suite. Sometimes, from control panel, you may not be able to un-install Office completely, in that case , MS introduced a neat tool to do that job for you. Please visit this KB for more information - 971179.
But before started un-installing MS Office to fix it, there are couple of steps which you can try to fix it.
Lets start with Office diagnostic tool -
Note You can also run the Microsoft Office Diagnostics feature from the Start menu. To do this, follow these steps:
Method 1: Microsoft Office Diagnostics feature
- In Windows, click Start
- Point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Diagnostics.
- Note If the Office Diagnostics tool identifies a problem, it tries to fix the problem.
- When the Office Diagnostics tool completes, click Close and try opening the document again.
Typically, when you first try to use a 2007 Office feature that is not installed, the 2007 Office program installs the feature automatically. If the feature that you want is not automatically installed, follow these steps:
Exit all programs.
If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER:
If you are running Windows XP, click Run, copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
Click the name of the Microsoft Office Edition 2007 that you want, and then click Change.
Select the option Add or Remove Features and then click Continue.
Select the features that you want to install, and then click Continue to finish the installation.
Method 2: Run the Detect and Repair feature
- Click Start. [same as above till step 3]
- If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER:
If you are running Windows XP, click Run, copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:appwiz.cpl
- Click the name of the Microsoft Office Edition 2007 that you want to change, and then click Change.
- Click the option Repair, and then click Continue.
Make sure that you manually delete the files that are still left behind. Delete these folders -
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11 (or “OFFICE”)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE
and re-install MS Office back to fix this issue. Make sure that you have the Microsoft office disk and its product key to reinstall it back
Powered by Facebook Comments